I think this book is probably the most important of all the books I have read. To sum it up in just two words: “Just listen”. It’s so simple yet so hard sometimes. Beneath you can read all the notes I have taken while reading the book. Nonetheless, don’t skip on reading the book yourself. You really miss out on all the great stories that Bettger gives.
These ideas lifted me out of the ranks of failure
- force yourself to be enthusiastic by acting enthusiastic
- Business boils down to seeing people
- Join a public speaking group to overcome fear and develope selfconfidence
- Take more time to think to be more organized and do them in order of their importance
- One day for self organization
Formula for success in selling
- Salesmanship: find out what the other person wants and find the best way to get it
When you show a man what he wants, he will move heaven and earth to get it. – Dale Carnegie
- Ask questions instead of using postive statements.
- Find the key point and stick to it
- Use the word “why” consistently
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing - one that sounds good, and a real one. – J. Pierpont Morgan
- Ask two little questions: “Why?” and “In addition to that… ?”
- Be a good listener. Show them your eager attention and appreciation.
Six ways to win and hold the confidence of others
- acquire confidence from others by believing “it” yourself
- Know your business and keep knowing it
I will speak ill of no man and speak all the good I know of everybody. – Benjamin Franklin
- Never exaggerate
- Use witnesses to build confidence
- Seek the advice of experts
How to make people want to do business with you
If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. – Abraham Lincoln
- Smile from down deep inside to be welcome everywhere
- To remember names:
- get clear impression of name and face
- repeat the name in intervals
- associate name with an action picture
- Be brief. Salesman tend to talk to much.
- Use fear of big men as an asset by admitting it honestly in front of them.
Steps in sale
- First sell the interview, not your product.
- Foundation of sales lies in getting the interview
- Be honest and sincere. Never try to outsmart secretaries to get an interview.
- Practice sales talk until it becomes part of yourself
- Let the customer perform by doing a demonstration.
Never forget a customer and never let a customer forget you.
- Put prospect into action by doing a demonstration
- after presentation ask the quesiton: “How do you like it?”
- best prospects have objections
- Find the real reason for objects by using “Why?” and “In addition to that…?”
- Have all contracts ready to be signed with as little as possible to fill out from the prospect at all times
- Don’t be afraid of money. Transfering money puts the buyer into possession of the good and makes him less likely to reverse his action.
Don’t be afraid to fail
- Focus on one virtue at a time to improve upon