The Power of your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy - Summary
I came across this book after reading The law of success and can only recommend it. Beneath I have summarized the most essential parts so that you can recall the ideas after initially reading the book.
- The treasure house within you
- How your own mind works
- The miracle-working power of your subconscious
- Mental healings in ancient times
- Mental healings in modern times
- Practical techniques in mental healings
- The tendency of the subconscious is lifeward
- How to get the results you want
- How to use the power of your subconscious for wealth
- Your right to be rich
- Your subconscious mind as a partner in success
- Scientists use the subconscious mind
- Your subconscious and the wonders of sleep
- Your subconscious mind and marital problems
- Your subconscious mind and your happiness
- Your subconscious mind and harmonious human relations
- How to use your subconscious mind for forgiveness
- How your subconscious removes mental blocks
- How to use your subconscious mind to remove fear
- How to stay young in spirit forever
¶The treasure house within you
- subconscious mind works by the law of belief
- your thoughts, feelings and imagery make your world without
- speak with authority and conviction to subconscious mind to bend it to your will
- subconscious mind works 24 hours a day
¶How your own mind works
- subconscious mind accepts any thought, bad or good
- thoughts are impressed by belief onto the subconscious mind
- conscious mind is the protector of the subconscious mind
- subconscious mind doesn't take jokes
- being calm and relaxed improves the ability to seed thoughts into your subconscious mind
- heterosuggestions: someone else influences your subconscious mind
¶The miracle-working power of your subconscious
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: "Man is what he thinks all day long."
Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matt. 21:22
¶Mental healings in ancient times
What things soever ye desire, when ya pray believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mark 11:24
- tense above suggests you already accept the fact even though it hasn't happened yet
¶Mental healings in modern times
If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23
Any method which causes you to move from fear and worry to faith and expectancy will heal.
- best time to induce thoughts on your subconscious mind is right before sleep
¶Practical techniques in mental healings
- keep the requests to your subconscious mind simple and naive
- constantly imagine visually your desired outcomes as if they were real
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7
- have the contemplation of the certain accomplishment of your desire with joy and restfulness
Act as though I am, and I will be.
William James: The subconscious mind will bring to pass any picture held in the mind and backed by faith.
enter into a sleepy or a state akin to sleep in which all effort is reduced to a minimum. in a quiet, passive and receptive way convey the idea to the subconscious mind. in this state negative (counter-productive) thoughts don't have an effect on you anymore
being grateful helps enforcing the imagined thought on the subconscious mind
affirm believes until they come true several times a day
¶The tendency of the subconscious is lifeward
- profoundest convictions come from subconscious mind
- eliminate thoughts of fear, worry, anxiety, jealousy, hatred, and every other destructive thought
Go thy way, thy faith hath made thee whole. Mark 10:52
¶How to get the results you want
- principles reasons for failure:
- lack of confidence
- too much effort
idea must be felt subjectively in a finished state, not the future, but as coming about now
effortlessly impress ideas on the subconscious mind.
subconscious mind emphasis dominant idea if in conflict, like walking on a plank on the ground or in 200 meters above the ground. the fear of falling takes over although the stability is the same and the person might fall as a consequence of the fear
agreement between conscious and subconscious mind are key
Let the words of my mouth (your thoughts, mental images, good) and the meditations of my heart (your feeling, nature, emotion) be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord (the law of your subconscious mind), my strength, and my redeemer (the power and wisdom of your subconscious mind can redeem you from sickness, bondage, and misery). Psalm 19:14
¶How to use the power of your subconscious for wealth
build wealth and abundance into your consciousness.
Instead of repeating "I am wealthy" use simply the word "Wealth--Success". If you feel your are lying to yourself it won't work
affirmations can't have conflicts with your conscious mind and must be specific to work best
By day and by night I am being prospered in all of my interests.
stop negative thoughts immediately and replace them by a good thought
don't neutralize a good thought 10 minutes later after seeding it into the subconscious mind
criticizing others who have wealth is the quickest way to poverty
envious is the arch enemy of wealth
if someone uses dubious methods to acquire wealth, don't ponder about it as their subconscious mind will take if them therefore neutralize the thought immediately.
¶Your right to be rich
believe that money is evil makes someone poor
enforcing the fact of wealth on ones mind disregards the current form of physical wealth. may it be gold, rice, sheep whatever it is the mind will see to acquire it
poverty is a mental disease
you cannot attract what you criticize
Repeat continuously: I like money, I love it, I use it wisely, constructively, and judiciously. Money is constantly circulating in my life. I release it with joy, and it returns to me multiplied in a wonderful way. It is good and very good. Money flows to me in avalanches of abundance. I use it for good only, and I am grateful for my good and for the riches of my mind.
Infinite intelligence governs and watches over all my financial transactions, and whatsoever I do shall prosper.
I am one one with the infinite riches of my subconscious mind. It is my right to be rich, happy and successful. Money flows to me freely, copiously, and endlessly. I am forever conscious of my true worth. I give of my talents freely, and I am wonderfully blessed financially. It is wonderful!
¶Your subconscious mind as a partner in success
The infinite intelligence of my subconscious mind reveals to me my true place in life.
- specialize in a profession
- aim must benefit others as well. it must benefit humanity
The man of success is the man who possesses great psychological and spiritual understanding.
According to your belief is it done unto you. Matt 9:29
¶Scientists use the subconscious mind
when seeking an answer don't think it requires a long time to be solved. Believe there is already a solution.
your body is an emotional disk which records your beliefs and impressions.
think how happy you would be about a perfect solution to a problem.
¶Your subconscious and the wonders of sleep
- minimum of 6 hours of sleep a day
¶Your subconscious mind and marital problems
best time to prevent divorce is before marriage
honesty, sincerity, kindness and integrity also represent love
personal characteristics: honest, sincere, loyal, faithful, peaceful, loving, successful, masculine, happy, harmonious and prosperous
don't discuss marital problems with relatives or neighbors
don't change your partner continuously, look for improvement in yourself as you will be occupied a life long
¶Your subconscious mind and your happiness
- events of happiness are transitory
Whosoever trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.
make it a habit to be happy
be grateful at least twice a day, in the morning and evening
some people enjoy being miserable
happiness is a spiritual state
¶Your subconscious mind and harmonious human relations
All things whatsoever ye would that men do unto you, do ye even so to them. Matt. 7:12
As you would that men should think about you, think you about them in like manner.
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Matthew 7:1-2
What the other person say or does cannot really annoy or irritate you except you permit him to disturb you.
recognize that every person wants to be loved and appreciated
don't let yourself be influenced by temper tantrums, crying jags or appeasements from others.
a hateful or resentful thought is mental poison
you can disagree without being disagreeable
¶How to use your subconscious mind for forgiveness
- chaotic conditions are the result of negative and destructive thinking which manifest in the subconscious mind
- life forgives you in every manner, you just have to let by being postive
You cannot be hurt when you know that you are master of your thoughts, reactions, and emotions. Emotions follow thoughts.
first to forgive others before one can forgive oneself
be sincere about the forgiveness
you only have forgiven if you aren't feeling hurt anymore if the person encounters good news
¶How your subconscious removes mental blocks
- impress happy outcome on subconscious mind to break bad habits
- think about freedom of habit
Steps before sleep:
- calm the mind
- repeat wanted outcome with gratefulness
- imagine dear friend congratulating you on your wanted outcome
¶How to use your subconscious mind to remove fear
- fear is a man's greatest enemy
- affirm positively to master your fears
- use autosuggestion 3 times a day and an extra time before going to sleep
I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
¶How to stay young in spirit forever
- age is the dawn of wisdom
Your character, the quality of your mind, your faith, and your convictions are not subject to decay.
- age is an asset
As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalm 42:1