Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill - Summary
This book tries to help you find your path in life by giving you hints on why you may lack success in your life. I read this book after reading the predecessor The law of success and can only recommend it. Beneath you can find the notes that I have taken while reading it. I still advice you to read it yourself.
- Desire: The turning point of all achievement
- Faith visualization of and belief in attainment of desire
- Auto-suggestion the medium for influencing the subconscious mind
- Specialized knowledge, personal experiences or observations
- Imagination: the workshop of the mind
- Organized planning, the crystallization of desire into action
- Decision: the mastery of procrastination
- Persistence: the sustained effort necessary to induce faith
- Power of the master mind: the driving force
- The mystery of sex transmutation
- The subconscious mind: The connecting link
- The brain: a broadcasting and receiving station for thought
- The sixth sense: the door to the temple of wisdom
- How to outwit the six ghosts of fear
- have definite major purpose
- have a burning desire
- have faith, initiative and the will to win
- don't quit right before the goal
Success comes to those who become success conscious Failure comes to those who indifferently allow themselves to become failure conscious.
- delete the word impossible out of your memory
You are "the master of your fate, the captain of your soul," because we have the power to control our thoughts.
¶ Desire: The turning point of all achievement
- burning desire means no way of retreat
- define exact amount of wanted money
- define what you give in return
- set a deadline
- create a definite plan starting now
- combine the steps above and put it in writing
- read written statement twice daily
¶ Faith visualization of and belief in attainment of desire
faith, love and sex are the most powerful emotions
faith can be created through autosuggestion
believe you are already in possession of what you desire similar to what is stated in "The magic of thinking big"
keep the mind free from negative thoughts
dominating thought attracts similar thoughts
- thought has to be mixed with any feelings of emotions to be magnetic
most frequent weakness: lack of self-confidence
ALL IMPULSES OF THOUGHT HAVE A TENDENCY TO CLOTHE THEMSELVES IN THEIR PHYSICAL EQUIVALENT
¶ Auto-suggestion the medium for influencing the subconscious mind
- auto-suggestion only works by connecting emotions to thoughts
- has to be practiced continuously
¶ Specialized knowledge, personal experiences or observations
false believe of knowledge is power, knowledge has to be directed towards a definite end
"educo" (education) to draw from within
An educated man is one who has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may acquire anything he wants, or its equivalent, without violating the rights of others.
- specialized knowledge needed to make it work
- bridge weaknesses through master mind group
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE is among the most plentiful, and the cheapest forms of service which may be had! If you doubt this, consult the payroll of any university.
- successful men never stop acquiring knowledge in their profession
The way of success is the way of continuous pursuit of knowledge.
¶Imagination: the workshop of the mind
- synthetic imagination: through experience, education and observation
- creative imagination: through hunches and inspirations via infinite intelligence
- gets more sensitive after use
¶ Organized planning, the crystallization of desire into action
adhere to rules of master mind group
replace failed plans with new ones accepting temporary defeat but not permanent failure
be an intelligent follower to become a good leader
attributes of leadership:
- unwavering courage
- a keen sense of justice
- definiteness of decision
- definiteness of plans
- the habit of doing more than paid for
- a pleasing personality
- sympathy and understanding
- mastery of detail
- willingness to assume full responsibility
mutual cooperation between followers and leader
The relationship of employer and employee, or of leader and follower, in the future, will be one of mutual cooperation, based upon an equitable division of the profits of business. In the future, the relationship of employer and employee will be more like a partnership than it has been in the past.
major causes of failure in leadership:
- inability to organize details
- unwillingness to render humble service
- expectation of pay for what they know instead of what they do with that which they know
- fear of competition of followers (teach your followers what you know so you have replicas of yourself)
- lack of imagination
- emphasis of the authority of leadership
- emphasis of title
have a pleasing personality to make up for quality or quantity of personal services
thinking what wage you deserve and which wage you deserve are 2 entirely different things
¶ Decision: the mastery of procrastination
- change decisions slowly and come to decisions quickly
- talk less and listen more
- don't give away your plans and purposes
- acquire necessary facts to reach decision without giving away too much information
deeds, and not words, are what count most
¶ Persistence: the sustained effort necessary to induce faith
persistence is the key to success
have a person in the master mind group which helps you with being persistent
Definite causes of persistence:
- Definiteness of purpose
- Definiteness of plans
- Accurate knowledge
Developer persistence through
A DEFINITE PURPOSE BACKED BY BURNING DESIRE FOR ITS FULFILLMENT.
A DEFINITE PLAN, EXPRESSED IN CONTINUOUS ACTION.
A MIND CLOSED TIGHTLY AGAINST ALL NEGATIVE AND DISCOURAGING INFLUENCES, including negative suggestions of relatives, friends and acquaintances.
A FRIENDLY ALLIANCE WITH ONE OR MORE PERSONS WHO WILL ENCOURAGE ONE TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH BOTH PLAN AND PURPOSE.
¶ Power of the master mind: the driving force
Coordination of knowledge and effort, in a spirit of harmony, between two or more people, for the attainment of a definite purpose.
Andrew Carnegie's master mind group consisted of around 50 men
Men take on the nature and the habits and the POWER OF THOUGHT of those with whom they associate in a spirit of sympathy and harmony.
¶The mystery of sex transmutation
the switching of the mind from thoughts of physical expression to thoughts of some other nature
properties of emotion of sex:
- imagination spurring
- creative abilities yet unknown
stimuli of the mind:
- desire for sex expression
- money, fame, power,
- master mind group
- mutual suffering
- narcotics and alcohol
creative imagination is the direct link between the finite intelligence and the infinite intelligence
using one of the "constructive" stimuli let's one use their sixth sense
steps for using sixth sense:
- stimulate mind so that it vibrates on a higher than average plane
- concentrate on known factors (finished part)
- create perfect/completed picture in mind of product
- wait for subconscious mind to give you the "hunch"/"flash" desired to complete the picture
transmute desire for physical contact into some other form of desire or action
highly sexed people characteristics:
- magnetism though hand-shake
- charming and musical voice
- posture and carriage of the body, moving briskly and with grace and ease
- able to mix emotion of sex with thoughts at will
- careful about their personal appearance -> fits their personality
master salesmen are able to transmute the energy of sex into sales enthusiasm
transmutation requires will power
opposed to animals where mating seasons exist, the human declares "open season" all year long
love is spiritual and lasts beyond the desires of sex which gives a person to keep on going even after the stimuli has faded
ultimate stimulus: love, romance and sex combined
¶ The subconscious mind: The connecting link
- most important thoughts the subconscious minds acts upon are those mixed with emotional feelings such as faith
¶ The brain: a broadcasting and receiving station for thought
- Creative imagination is the "receiving set" of others
- Emotion of sex causes highest rate of vibration in the brain
the broadcasting principle is the factor through which you mix feeling, or emotion with your thoughts and pass them on to your subconscious mind
subconscious mind is the "sending set"
be 100% awake and consciously make an effort to increase "transmission"
¶ The sixth sense: the door to the temple of wisdom
- Six sense is the portion of the mind responsible for creative imagination
- It can only be developed through meditation
¶How to outwit the six ghosts of fear
- conquer indecision, doubt and fear
Six basic fears
- Loss of love of someone
- Old age
Man can create nothing which he does not first conceive in the form of an impulse of thought . MAN'S THOUGHT IMPULSES BEGIN IMMEDIATELY TO TRANSLATE THEMSELVES INTO THEIR PHYSICAL EQUIVALENT, WHETHER THOSE THOUGHTS ARE VOLUNTARY OR INVOLUNTARY
fear of poverty is the most destructive one and originates from a man's tendency to prey upon his fellow man economically
Symptoms of the fear of poverty:
Planning what to do IF AND WHEN OVERTAKEN BY FAILURE, INSTEAD OF BURNING ALL BRIDGES AND MAKING RETREAT IMPOSSIBLE.
EXPECTING POVERTY INSTEAD OF DEMANDING RICHES
Symptoms of the fear of criticism
SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS. Generally expressed through nervousness, timidity in conversation and in meeting strangers, awkward movement of the hands and limbs, shifting of the eyes.
- Lack of poise (poor: posture, memory, voice)
- Inferiority complex
- Lack of initiative
- Lack of ambition
Worry is a state of mind based upon fear.
Whip the fear of poverty by reaching a decision to get along with whatever wealth you can accumulate WITHOUT WORRY. Put your foot upon the neck of the fear of criticism by reaching a decision NOT TO WORRY about what other people think, do, or say.
- How to protect yourself against negative influences:
Without doubt, the most common weakness of all human beings is the habit of leaving their minds open to the negative influence of other people.
You have ABSOLUTE CONTROL over but one thing, and that is your thoughts.
It was a great surprise to me when I discovered that most of the ugliness I saw in others, was but a reflection of my own nature